Tuesday, September 13, 2011

project bathroom: part 2

3 weeks ago, I left off with the bathroom demo being finished. You have no idea how happy I am to report that we now have a full functioning shower! As probably typical with every home remodel project, it has gone longer than expected. Things will find ways to go wrong…I swear. For example, I tried to cut it a bit close with the Carrara marble hex floor tile (this stuff is not cheap, so I really didn’t want to end up with much extra) and of course ran out. I was told the sheets of tile were 1’x1’, when they were actually 10”x11”. When ordering the 3 ft² that I was short, the tile company sent me tile that was 1/8” smaller. This silly mistake stalled the project by about a week. Without being able to finish the floor tile, the base and door trim cannot be finished. Until the trim is finished, the painter cannot come in to do the cabinet and trim. Lesson learned, it starts getting hard to control the costs of a remodel project when it is nearing completion, unless you are really careful.
Now that we enter the home stretch, we are tired of the stress and inconvenience. We just want to have the project to be finished so our house is complete. This has me passing some of the do-it-yourself tasks to paid help, which obviously ends up costing more. Ask me now and I say it is well worth it. Luckily this project is not way over budget (at least not yet), and the funds are there to just get the stuff done. I really want this project done right since it is our first and will probably be the last for a while. With that being said, here are some pictures of the progress. The new vanity cabinet has been installed with a slab of honed black granite to top it off. The sink is a Kohler Verticyl undermount. The Kohler “Purist” sink and tub controls and faucets have been installed and we love, love, love them! The subway tile is artic white matte in a 3” x 6” from Daltile. The so called “show stopper” floor, as mentioned above, is polished Carrara hex. This floor has been completely worth the trouble. It has such an elegant look and really dresses up the bathroom. The paint is from Sherwin-Williams and is called "Slate." Being a wet area, we got this paint in a Satin finish. Lastly, the mirror frame will be painted in a mustard yellow color to match the shower curtain.






9 comments:

Jaime said...

I love it! That floor tile is so stunning!

Lilladylife said...

i LOVE your bathroom mirror and FLOORS!! haha is that weird?? Also, the overhead lights, I am taking notes for my future apt!

Jen said...

The floor is gorgeous. I usually shy away from slick/shiny surfaces (like polished marble)in wet areas because I'm afraid someone will slip and fall more easily. Since the size of the marble hex's are so small, and with more grout lnes, I bet this greatly reduces the slickness factor. I'm saving this in pinterest for future renovations!

Mollie Hatzikotelis said...

This is absolutely beautiful! The floor is stunning, and I love the more rustic look of the honed granite. So impressed - we'll be redoing our bathroom at some point in the future, and this is great inspiration. Cant wait to see more!

Whale of a time said...

Wow! It looks amazing. The square sink in that dark counter looks so Incredable. I love the mirror above it too. It all fits so perfectly together. I can't wait to see the yellow trim on the mirror against the slate wall. It's going to be to die for! Oh and the floor... Holy cow! You nailed it! I can't believe how much work you've done in only three weeks! You should be proud.

Sunday Loft said...

The floor is a show stopper it's amazing!

Kat said...

Love the bathroom and that floor is amazeballs! Love it!

Meaghan said...

Hi Meredith! You stopped by my blog a few weeks ago, thanks for the comment.

Wanted to say that I love the bathroom floor. Great choice. Definitely worth the delay, in my opinion :)

Rebekah said...

Great choice of colors! It looks amazing!